Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Early Morning Excursion

So I was lucky enough to meet some really nice people during the basketball tournament, some of whom I am becoming good friends with...  And what better way to spend time with friends than to go on excursions!  My (newfound) friend Ipellie told me he used to go walk around and hunt ptarmigan but that the hadn't done it in a while, so we planned to meet up early (8:30 am) and head out onto the land.  Although I had been out walking around these parts before, I was glad that I would have Ipellie as a "guide" because even though he moved here from Pond Inlet only a few years ago, he knows the area really well and had tonnes of knowledge to share with me during our walk.  The excursion took nearly 2 hours and one major highlight was stumbling upon an actual IGLOO!  Not much of a point speaking about it though since, as usual, I took pictures!


Very windy morning where the sky nearly completely blended in with the land.



Inuksuk... Saw lots of those along the way.  For those who don't know, Inuksuit are used to help people find their way on the land.



Total tourist shot.



My friend Ipellie.



It is really hard to see depth in these pictures, but try to imagine that from where Ipellie is standing to that rock is about a 2 minute walk, which means the rock was actually really big, despite what it may look like here.



At one point Ipellie pointed out that he thought he could see a tent.  I, of course, saw nothing but snow and rocks but he was sure that this very very verrrry far beige-ish dot was a tent... So we ventured out for a while to eventually come upon what was in fact a tent!  



No idea who this tent belongs to and I was glad that no one was sleeping in it when we came by and started snooping around.



I was especially glad that no one was sleeping in it when I stuck my camera in and blindly took a picture of the inside.  This reminds me of the tent-fort from the Royal Tenenbaums.



Some busted wood near the tent.



While finding a tent in the middle of nowhere was cool, nothing beats stumbling upon an actual igloo!  Here you see the entrance from inside.  It wasn't very easy to get in (especially since I wasn't wearing snow pants.. just a bunch of layers with jeans) but I thankfully managed somehow!



View from inside the igloo.  Once again, glad that no one was sleeping inside as we crawled in.



Ipellie sitting in the igloo.  I was really excited about getting a picture of the igloo itself or of myself sitting in it but at this point my camera was really REALLY starting to hate me for putting it through crazy weather conditions and kept shutting off.  Oh well, hopefully I will have a chance to go back on a warmer and less windy day before it melts!  Oh we also found an igloo that was in the process of being built, which was really cool to see--but by that time my camera was essentially dead.



Does it get any more arctic than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment