Sunday, February 27, 2011

Images of a Recent Past

Today I went to the Nunatta Sunakkutaangit Museum for the first time.  I was pleasantly surprised to find it open on a Sunday.  The Museum has two main rooms, one for the permanent collection of artefacts and works of art and another for temporary exhibitions.  Today I got to see the Pangnirtung 2010 Print Collection.  The man working there also told me that on March 22nd would be the opening of the new exhibition in which artists deal with the experience of residential schools.  Should be really interesting.  Anyhow, there is also an upstairs to the museum where the walls are lined with display windows where you find lots of sculptures but also some cool skulls!  Walrus and Beluga to be precise.. But I won't be posting pictures of those today because I have dedicated this post to a most interesting part of the second floor: a table where people can sit down to look through four big photo albums filled with original photographs of Iqaluit and other communities from 1948 upwards!! These pictures were absolutely unreal!!  I took shot of a few of them.  Oh, also!  I recently found out that my grandfather had actually been up here in 1955 (back when it was called Frobisher Bay) and had worked on the DEW Line for a number of months.  I was trying to see if I could spot him in any of the pictures.  I thought I may have but I will have to check with my Mom before jumping the gun.  Anyhow, here are a few pictures of pictures.


View of the table where the photo albums are.


c. 1948 - Iqaluit started out as an American airbase.. Not very poetic.


c. 1948


c. 1948


c. 1955 (grand-papa are you in there?)


c. 1956 (grand-papa is that you?)


c. 1960 - Coolest baby ever.


c. 1960 - I'm amazed at how much the Inuit remind me of the Tibetan people.


c. 1960 - This one I just found too adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment