Sunday, March 20, 2011

Choices

Hi again!  I am on a posting rampage!  So, I was recently faced with quite a difficult decision.  One that really fundamentally challenged me to define who I am, or at least who I want to be.  In a nutshell, I was offered a position as a "payroll officer" within the finance department of the government of Nunavut.  Sounds boring, I know... But here is the kicker, this job was going to give me literally DOUBLE what I make at the daycare.  DOUBLE!  And that was with a 10 minute interview.  It says something about the state of the government here when someone can be offered an $80,000/year job over a 10 minute interview.  So, the money sounded really appealing... Like REALLY appealing.  So appealing in fact that I quit my job at the daycare and prepared myself for life in "the office".  I have never worked a desk job, and whenever I have spent long amounts of time sitting in front of a computer I have always felt like I was going a little bit crazy (or a lot).  I basically feared that I just was not a deskjob type of person... And quite frankly, at this point in my life I KNOW that I am not a deskjob person.  Maybe when my body starts to give out, but right now I feel the need to move around and be creative, which is exactly what the daycare could offer me--as opposed to the government.  Now another factor comes into play as well, which is the fact that the daycare decided to significantly raise the wage for my position (educator).  It's as though my departure made them realize that the insane turnover rate is directly linked to money.  As sad as it is, it's practically impossible to live in Iqaluit and say that you don't care how much money you make because everything is so much more expensive.  SO all that to say that upon much soul-searching and a lengthy chat with my mommy, I came to the conclusion that I would rather have a creative (although extremely exhausting and somewhat chaotic) job than an extremely well-paying but unbelievably monotonous and stressful one.  SOOOOO what that means is: you will be seeing lots more posts about crafts!  Wahoo!!!  I could also elaborate further on the different factors that affected my decision, but ultimately it can be boiled down to my desire to stay true to the person I am as well as the person I want to be.  On that note, here are some more pictures from the daycare.. How could you say no to these faces??




No comments:

Post a Comment