Sunday, March 27, 2011

Work It Out

When I first thought about moving to Iqaluit one of my biggest fears was that there wouldn't really be anywhere for me to exercise.  It was bad enough I'd have to stop doing my absolute most favourite things (i.e. muay thai, boxing and jiu-jitsu), the only "exercise facility" I could find online was a pool!  Needless to say that I was ecstatic to find out there are actually way more options than that!  In fact there are two gyms, one of which has this weird posh/elitist vibe to it (and charges $500 just to join).  That one is called the Racquet Club and although I could never justify paying their prices, my friend who happens to be a member took me there to play squash and it was SO MUCH fun!!.... BUT, $500 plus the monthly fee is not going to happen.  The other gym has more reasonable prices but I'm waiting for them to get back to me about volunteering there (since that entails a free membership).  Anyhow, the reason I am mentioning all of this is because I also happened to find a THIRD amazing option: "Old Res".  Old Res is the unofficial name of one of the residences for the students attending the Arctic College.  I was lucky enough to find out about this class called Bootcamp that happens 3 times a week (although it's nothing compared to the type of workout I'd get from a muay thai class).  I've also been playing basketball on Sundays and going in once in a while to jog around the gymnasium.  OH AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!  I found a PUNCHING BAG!!!  Woohoo!!  It is quite decrepit, but, it will most certainly do!  This also leads me to some other exciting news: I've started a women's boxing/self-defense class!  Next Thursday will be the fourth class and so far the ladies have been really into  it and getting super pumped!!  I am really excited about these classes and will eventually make a post dedicated strictly to that, but in the meantime, here is where I get my sweat on:


The gym.



Why have multiple machines when you can have just one?  Pretty sure this picture appears in the dictionary next to the word "contraption".


The above-mentionned contraption is O.K. in my books though because it has a punching bag!  Tattered to say the least, but existent nonetheless!



This is what the Ol' Res looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment