Saturday, March 19, 2011

Qamiks on the Dancefloor

Wow, I can't believe it's already been two weeks since my last post!  I have so much to put up here but I can't seem to find the time, so this post will be short (and hopefully sweet).  This is a video of two women dancing last Friday night at the Storehouse.  The Storehouse is basically just this restaurant/bar type of place that is inside the "eight-story" aka the Frobisher Inn.  I love that since there are so few tall buildings here, when someone is talking about the "eight-story" you know right away which one someone is talking about.  But I digress, basically every Friday night people come to the Storehouse to dance and have a good time.  And there were some SERIOUSLY amazing dancers out there!!  Of all ages too... I have never seen someone over 60 groove as well as I have here.  The other amazing thing was that the first two guys to break the ice and hit the dancefloor were two openly gay men who were NOT afraid to show it!  I also found out that there is in fact quite a large gay and lesbian population here!  Moreover, these guys were dancing it up together in a room where there were elders, which speaks to the level of acceptance here.  Now the reason I wanted to put up this video is because in it you see two women (well their feet) dancing and I just thought it really spoke to the meeting of cultures: Qamiks and "clubbing" (no pun intended). 





I will make another update very soon as I have lots to put up here!
-P.

No comments:

Post a Comment